why did these companies choose Tcl over Python

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Oct 31 03:06:59 EDT 2007

chewie54 <dfabrizio51 at gmail.com> wrote:

>As an electronics engineer I use some very expensive EDA CAD tool
>programs that are scriptable using Tcl.  I was wondering why these
>companies have choose to use Tcl instead of Python.   Some of these
>are:
>
>   Mentor Graphics ModelTech VHDL and Verilog simulator
>   Synopsys  Design Compiler and Primetime Static Timing Analyzer
>   Actel FPGA tools.

Well, I recently did a development contract for Mentor, and the RFQ gave me
the choice of doing the library binding and diagnostic GUI in either Tcl or
Python.  Naturally, I chose Python (and wxPython), and both the client and
I are quite happy with the result.

(Actually, I did a Tcl binding for them as well, and just writing the text
scripts reinforced my dislike for it...)
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.