why doesn't have this list a "reply-to" ?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 16 18:45:12 EDT 2007

stef mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm always have great difficulties, replying to this beautiful and
> helpful list.
>
> When I hit the reply button,
> the message is sent personally to the sender and not to the list.

Yes. That's what the "reply" function is for: sending a reply to the
author of the message.

> I've subscribed to dozen's of lists,
> and all have an "reply-to" address, that points to list and not to the
> individual.

That's wrong; the "Reply-To" field is for the author to specify as
*their* choice of where personal replies should be sent. The author of
the message doesn't change just because the message was transported
via a mailing list.

    <URL:http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html>

The address for messages intended for the list is specified in a
different field: "List-Post". The Python mailing lists (like the
majority of well-run mailing lists) provide that field in every
message header, and have done for many years. Your mail composition
software has that field available to use for the "reply to the list"
function.

    <URL:http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2369.txt>

If your mail composing software doesn't have a "reply to the mailing
list" function, you should pressure your provider to fix that.

--
 \      "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything |
  `\                                         you know."  -- Sassan Tat |