python2.5 and mysqldb

brad byte8bits at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 15:30:10 EDT 2007

writeson wrote:

... stuck trying to get mysqldb installed and running on this
> machine. I've tried with easy_install and by building from the tar
> file and both return a long list of errors from a gcc compile. I'm not
> sure what to do next to resolve this issue, so if anyone could give me
> some guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

I would stay at Python 2.3... Centos (like redhat) relies heavily on
Python. Sure, you could hack it a bit and install both versions (which
you obviously have), but IMO, it's not worth it. What feature of 2.5 is
required that 2.3 can't do? I'd guess that the mysqldb compile is
somehow being confused by the default 2.3 and the version you've
installed or is conflicting with other versions of itself?

Again, unless there is a compelling reason to upgrade, don't or get a
more flexible OS that easily allows for this sort of thing (like Debian)

Brad