how to/help installing impure packages

Jonathan Gardner jgardner.jonathangardner.net at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:32:03 EDT 2007

On Oct 26, 10:35 am, owl <john_now... at carleton.ca> wrote:
> I love easy_install.
>
> I love watching it search and complete.
> It's when it doesn't complete that causes me grief.
> I don't program a lot these days and am relatively new to python but I
> often wind up installing packages on both unix and windows machines
> and often the 'build' part of the install fails with not being able to
> find the compiler or compile problems.
>
> If there are any articles/pointers that talk about this, i.e. how to
> troubleshoot, I'd love to know.
>
> If I was writing such an article I'd start with:
> - how easy_install uses distutils (even this is an assumption on my
> part)
> - where it looks in the env. for stuff on both unix/linux/windows
> - what files to tweak to help it find stuff if your env. is different.
> - i.e. can I config some file to have packages not try and compile but
> use pure python if possible?
> - i.e. w/o speedups
> - how to work around problems such as easy_install failing because a
> site is down
> - i.e. how to manually download, 'unpack' & 'build'
> - since packages fail to build, how to set things up to download &
> keep things around when they fail so you can tinker with it until you
> get it working!

I would enjoy seeing an article like this as well.

However, in the meantime, feel free to report your error messages to
the authors of the modules in question or even here. I am sure someone
would be willing to give some advice. At the very least, they need to
know that all is not perfect out in user-land.