some questions about Python and tkinter

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Tue Oct 16 15:09:12 EDT 2007

fabdeb a écrit :
> Hi every one,
> I m a sysadmin who want to know how to use python.
> I dont know anything about oriented object programation, i only know
> bash and a little perl.
> I have some simple questions about python.
>
> the first: what is the differences between a function and a classe?

I suppose you do know what a function is. Else it would be time to go
for some CS introductory material...

A class is the definition of a family of objects. If that doesn't mean
anything to you, then just forget about classes and OOP for now.

> In which case i should use a function ?

When you have a (mostly self-contained) piece of code you want to call
by name from different places.

> In which case i should use a class ?

If you don't know, then don't use them for the moment. First learn to
use Python without them.

> The second: there is some pincipals gui toolkit: tkinter , Python Mega-
> Widgets, PyGTK, PyQt, FxPy, WxPy
>
> what are the advantages of each one, and in which case i use each of
> them?

This is a FAQ IIRC.