how to convert string to number?

wang frank fw3 at hotmail.co.jp
Tue Oct 16 14:15:06 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have struggling to efficiently convert a string list to number. Here is my problem. I have a file that contains lines such as:

data_1 1 1 2 3.5

After I read the data from the file by using readlines(), each line contains a string. I use the re moduel to split the line into ['data_1', '1','1','2','3.5']. I want to create a dictionary which contains

{'data_1':[1 1 2 3.5]}

The problem is I coud not efficiently find a way to convert the string to number.

Does anyone know how to create such dictionary efficiently?

thanks

Frank