setuptools without unexpected downloads

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:26:24 EDT 2007

On Sep 26, 5:52 pm, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:
> >> I'd like to see something like this happen, too, and if a group of
> >> volunteers emerges I'll do what I can through the PSF to provide
> >> resources. Activities that benefit the whole community (or a large part
> >> of it) are, IMHO, well worth supporting.
>
> > What would it entail to do this? Using py2exe + some installer (like
> > Inno Setup) to create an installer that basically copies/installs the
> > files into the site-packages folder or wherever the user chooses? If
> > that's all it is, I would think it would be fairly easy to create
> > these. Maybe I'm over-simplifying it though.
>
> > What are a some examples of packages that need this?
>
> MySQLdb and psycopg are two obvious examples I have had to grub around
> or produce my own installers for. There's generally some configuration
> work to do for packages that have been produced without considering
> Windows requirements, and ideally this will be fed back to the developers.
>
> I think you may be oversimplifying a little. Pure Python packages aren't
> too problematic, it's mostly the extension modules. Unless a copy of
> Visual Studio is available (and we *might* get some cooperation from
> Microsoft there) that means resorting to MingW, which isn't an easy
> environment to play with (in my occasional experience, anyway).
>
> There's going to be increasing demand for 64-bit implementations too.
>
> regards
>   Steve
> --
> Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
> Holden Web LLC/Ltd          http://www.holdenweb.com
> Skype: holdenweb      http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
>
> Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline

Steve,

We have Visual Studio 2005 at work and my boss is a Python nut, so I
could probably use it. I also have academic versions of VS 6 and 2003
(maybe 2005 too...I forget, it might be 2004) at home as well...I
think I can use those for open source development, although knowing
Microsoft, there's probably something draconian hiding in the EULA
somewhere.

If someone is willing to give me some guidance, I'll give it a try.

Mike