Fwd: Using fractions instead of floats

Andres Riofrio andres.j.new at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 23:10:05 EDT 2007

PS: Sorry, George Sakkis, for the double emailing... I forgot to add
python-list in the To: field the first time. :)

Haha. Ok. Thank you for pointing me to those links :). I hadn't
thought of searching for the word 'rational' instead of 'decimal'...

>From what I've read, seems that the principal reason for rejecting the
PEP is that there was not much need (enthusiasm)... Well, then I have
a question: Is there a way to make 5/2 return something other than an
integer? I can do:
class int(int):
  def __add__(self, other):
    pass
but that will only work if I do int(5)/int(2)...

(setting __builtin__.int=int doesn't work, either)

What I'd like is to be able to implement what I put in the proposal,
as I don't think it's a really big language change...