Pseudo-Private Class Attributes

Ricardo Aráoz ricaraoz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:44:10 EDT 2007

That is self.__attributes

Been reading about the reasons to introduce them and am a little
concerned. As far as I understand it if you have a class that inherits
from two other classes which have both the same name for an attribute
then you will have a name clash because all instance attributes "wind up
in the single instance object at the bottom of the class tree".

Now I guess this means that in any real OOP project you'd better use
__attr for all your attributes, because classes are usually meant to be
subclassed and you can never know when you'll be subclassing from two
classes with attributes with the same name, and I guess you can't take
the risk of this happening because when it happens it will be hell to
find out what's going on.

Is this right?