So what exactly is a complex number?

Boris Borcic bborcic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 08:17:08 EDT 2007

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Also, for
> example, the derivative of a complex valued function means something
> considerably stronger than the derivative of a real valued function.

I vaguely remember (it has been decades) an amazingly beautiful russian doll
system of four of five theorems, the first hypothesizing a function of a complex
variable with a property that IIRC appeared somewhat weaker than
differentiability, and the latter theorems not hypothesizing anything more, but
pushing the consequence further to ever stronger properties.