Google and Python

asdfjehqwjerhqjwljekrh tutufan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:56:10 EDT 2007

On Sep 24, 10:40 am, al... at mac.com (Alex Martelli) wrote:
> > Good motto. So is most of Google's code base now in
> > Python? About what is the ratio of Python code to C++
> > code? Of course lines of code is kine of a bogus measure.
> > Of all those cycles Google executes, about what portion
> > are executed by a Python interpreter?
>
> I don't have those numbers at hand, and if I did they would be
> confidential

I would be curious to know whether they code much "mixed model"
coding.  By that I mean (a) code your application in Python, and then
(b) optimize it as necessary by moving some functionality into Python
C/C++ modules.  (Some of (b) may happen during design, of course.)

I think of this as the state of the art in programming practice, and I
wonder whether Google's doing this, or has a superior alternative.

Mike