python 2.5 and 3gb switch

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 03:26:06 EDT 2007

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:10:22 +1200, neil wrote:
> why?

An error traceback or any other information might help us understand the
problem.  Even if you think you know what the issue is--and you didn't
seem 100% certain--an example would help other people understand the
issue better.

> I am asking if any one knows of a 3gb python build. The code runs
> successfully in lesser missions it just wont run in the extra memory
> available when I try to run it along with my other programs in a 3gb
> space.
> thanks for your reply though

You're probably out of luck.  Blender uses a built-in Python interpreter,
which means you're stuck with whatever version it uses.  If you were to
install a different version of Python, Blender wouldn't use it--it would
still use it's built-in version.

(On Windows, I'm not sure if Blender ships with the Python DLL or if
Python is statically linked in.  If Blender does ship with the Python
DLL, you could try to replace the DLL it ships with with the DLL from a
64-bit build of Python, but it would almost certainly crash Blender
because the function signatures would be different.  Hell, much lesser
changes can cause problems: it is because of Blender that I compile
Python in UCS-4 mode.)

There is another possibility: perhaps it is a 64-bit version of Python
built into Blender, but you need some standard libraries not supplied by
Blender.  (This is something a traceback might have been able to help us
find out.)  Does your conversion utility depend on having Python
installed?  If so, then installing a 64-bit version could help.  But, it
still behooves you to install the exact same version of Python,
preferrably built with the same options.

I can't help you there, though; don't run Windows myself.  Did you look
at the Active State distros?  Maybe they have one.

And finally, asking on the Blender forums would probably be more helpful.

Carl Banks