sorteddict PEP proposal [started off as orderedict]

Mark Summerfield m.n.summerfield at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 04:13:21 EDT 2007

On 27 Sep, 08:32, Duncan Booth <duncan.bo... at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Paul Hankin <paul.han... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> A key which is in dict must be either in __keycache or in __addkeys, but
> >> never in both.
>
> > Yes, I'm sorry: you're right.
>
> > But there's a different bug: if you delete a key that's not in the
> > dict, you'll add it to the deleted list before the exception for the
> > missing key is raised.
>
> > sd = sorteddict.sorteddict()
> > sd['a'] = 'a'
> > print sd.keys() = ['a']
> > try:
> >     del sd['b']
> > except:
> >     pass
> > sd['b'] = 'b'
> > print sd.keys()
>
> > The second print statement produces ['a'] rather than ['a', 'b']
>
> Yes, I think there are probably several cases where I need to account for
> exceptions.
>
> There's another serious problem: if Mark wants this module to be used and
> stand any chance at all of eventually being incorporated into the standard
> library, then he will have to change the license on his code: the GPL
> simply isn't an option here.

I have fixed __addkey() and __removekey():

    def __addkey(self, key):
        if key in self.__delkeys:
            self.__delkeys.remove(key)
        else:
            self.__addkeys.add(key)

    def __removekey(self, key):
        if key in self.__addkeys:
            self.__addkeys.remove(key)
        else:
            self.__delkeys.add(key)

I have also fixed __delitem__():

        try:
            dict.__delitem__(self, key)
        except KeyError:
            raise
        else:
            self.__removekey(key)

As for the license, while it is on PyPI, I'll leave it as GPL v 3. If
it was wanted for the standard library (and I can't see that ever
happening), I will happily change it to the one that is preferred for
Python modules.