Why 'class spam(object)' instead of class spam(Object)' ?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Sep 7 13:25:32 EDT 2007

Carl Banks wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:30:00 -0500, Sergio Correia wrote:
>> Hi, I'm kinda new to Python (that means, I'm a total noob here), but
>> have one doubt which is more about consistency that anything else.
>>
>> Why if PEP 8 says that "Almost without exception, class names use the
>> CapWords convention", does the most basic class, object, is lowercase?
>
> It said "almost".  :)

Indeed it did, and never forget that most of PEP 8 was derived from an
essay by Guido whose original title was "A Foolish Consistency is the
Hobgoblin of Little Minds" ...

>> I found a thread about this:
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2007-April/437365.html
>> where its stated that -object- is actually a type, not a class; but the
>> idea still doesn't convince me.

You don't have to be convinced. You just have to do what the PEP says
yourself and ignore the people who *haven't* done what it says
(particularly if they are core Python developers).

> There's a false dichotomy there: it's not an either-or situation.  Almost
> everyone would agree that new-style classes, defined by the Python class
> statement, are both classes and types.  Some might squabble over whether
> object is class, but it has nothing to do with why object is spelled in
> lower-case.
>
> The reason why "object" is lower case is because built-in types are
> spelled in lower-case.  Why are built-in types lower case?  Because many
> built-in types were originially functions.  For example, "int" and "str"
> were once functions.  When these symbols became the names of their
> respective types, they kept the lower-case spelling, and it became
> convention for built-in types to be spelled lower-case.

In other words: "Get over it" ;-)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119