Spell-checking Python source code

John Zenger johnzenger at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 17:04:55 EDT 2007

To my horror, someone pointed out to me yesterday that a web app I
wrote has been prominently displaying a misspelled word.  The word was
buried in my code.

Is there a utility out there that will help spell-check literal
strings entered into Python source code?  I don't mean spell-check
strings entered by the user; I mean, go through the .py file, isolate
strings, and tell me when the strings contain misspelled words.  In an
ideal world, my IDE would do this with a red wavy line.

I guess a second-best thing would be an easy technique to open a .py
file and isolate all strings in it.

(I know that the better practice is to isolate user-displayed strings
from the code, but in this case that just didn't happen.)