Threading preemption questions

Kurtis Heimerl munncha at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 19:18:07 EDT 2007

Hi, I'm developing my first python application, a multi-threaded cell phone
gadget on ubuntu 7.10. I've just split off my first thread, and I've noticed
something extremely strange: There doesn't seem to be any preemption. There
are currently two threads, one that pings a storage service to see if there
are messages available, and the other that runs the gtk windows. If I do not
explicitly yield either one, it runs forever. I'm assuming this is a setting
somewhere, but that's a very strange default behavior.

How do I get this to go about preempting these threads? Any advice would be
helpful. Thanks!