Symbolic Link

samwyse dejanews at email.com
Sun Sep 9 21:48:45 EDT 2007

mosscliffe wrote:

>>My question would be why a symbolic link? Why not a hard link? Are the
>>two directories on different mount points? After the script finishes
>>does python need to see that image file again? Why not just move it?
>
> I have tested a hard link now and it seems to work fine.  I am
> deleting the link/s at the end of the session/s.

This is a bit late, but the reason the symbolic link won't work is
because it's the web-server that's resolving it.  The browser can only
see things that the web-server, huh, serves, so what was meant in the
first paragraph above was that the web server couldn't access the file
in its original location.  If you create a sym-link, the web server
opens the link, finds out the actual location of the file, and tries to
open that file, which it still can't do.  A hard-link, OTOH, allows
direct access to the contents of a file, as long as it is on the same
filesystem.  No extra steps are required, so the process runs a few
microseconds faster, and directory-level permissions can't get in the way.