uninstall

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Sep 10 09:55:55 EDT 2007

On 10 Sep, 15:45, Milos Prudek <pru... at bvx.cz> wrote:
> I run "make install" of Python 2.4.4 and now I discovered that I do not like
> the default placement of my install. The Makefile does not support
> an "uninstall" option.
>
> Is there a way to uninstall Python compiled from sources?

If you're installing from sources "manually", you might want to
consider checkinstall to give you the option of an uninstall for those
software distributions which don't support "make uninstall":

http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

I seem to recall at some point doing a checkinstall on one or more
programs, installing the resulting packages, then uninstalling them in
order to remove installed files. That might be one approach you could
take, although it obviously won't restore any files overwritten when
you originally installed Python. That said, Python tends to install
into /usr/local by default and is fairly conservative about where it
puts its files, so it's unlikely that anything was overwritten.

Paul