Python 2 releases after 2.6

slinkp slinkp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 10:47:11 EDT 2007

This seems to be a bit of a FAQ (at least among worried Zope
developers  :-) ...
What  are the plans for Python 2 releases after Python 2.6 / Python 3
are released?

First, in the 2006 State of Python, Guido said:

"""
# 2.7: likely; may contain some 3.0 backports
# 2.9 is as far as we'll go (running out of digits :-)
"""

Then there's PEP 3000, which says:
"""
I expect that there will be parallel Python 2.x and 3.x releases for
some time; the Python 2.x releases will continue for a longer time
than the traditional 2.x.y bugfix releases. Typically, we stop
releasing bugfix versions for 2.x once version 2.(x+1) has been
released. But I expect there to be at least one or two new 2.x
releases even after 3.0 (final) has been released, probably well into
3.1 or 3.2. This will to some extent depend on community demand for
continued 2.x support, acceptance and stability of 3.0, and volunteer
stamina.
"""

Has any of that changed (insofar as anyone can predict the future of
course)?

Thanks,

-PW