I want py2exe not to create library.zip

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Wed Sep 12 16:55:35 EDT 2007

Laszlo Nagy wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I want py2exe not to create library.zip. My reason is that the installed
> program will be a self updating program, and it must be able to download
> changes (newer python source files) from the server. So the files should
> not be in library.zip. I tried the --bundle option but apparently it can
> only be used to make the distribution __more__ bundled.
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Laszlo

That is correct.  People want less files to distribute not more.  People
complain on py2exe list that it doesn't create a single .EXE file.  Don't
try to update the program via patching "pieces".  Wrap everything in a proper
installer (I use and highly recommend Inno Setup).  It can handle version
control, there is a plug-in for over-the-wire updates, etc.  Best way I know of
to automate everything.

-Larry