Co-developers wanted: document markup language

Sat Sep 1 07:24:54 EDT 2007

In message <7xy7g1if24.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin wrote:

> TeX/LateX have been around forever and are well established standards,
> as awful as they are.  Why do we want ANOTHER markup language?  We
> need fewer, not more.

Because time marches on, and the deficiencies of the old way of doing things
become more obvious, not less. For all the wonderful layout capabilities of
TEX, I've never seen a decent font done with METAFONT--not a single one.
They all looked like rubbish compared to what was available with those
early PostScript-based Apple LaserWriters.

By the way, did you know there was life before TEX? Back in that era, the
main open-source markup system in use was ... troff. Still not quite dead
today, it lives on in the definition of Unix/Linux man pages.