Newbie question

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Sep 17 18:13:37 EDT 2007

koutoo at hotmail.com a écrit :
> On Sep 18, 1:31 pm, "Shawn Milochik" <Sh... at Milochik.com> wrote:
>
>>On 9/18/07, kou... at hotmail.com <kou... at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>If I have a file name: AVC1030708.14.  How do I strip out certain
>>>characters from the file name?  I am so used to using MID, LEFT, and
>>>RIGHT functions, that I have no idea how to do this in python?  I have
>>>had trouble as well with most newbies on finding the help.  But I have
>>>used the command line built in help, but with no luck.  Thanks.
>>
>>>Kou
>>
>>Do you want to strip out specific characters, characters in specific
>>positions, or characters matching certain patterns?
>

> Yes, I want specific characters in specific positions.

Err... Sorry, but something is not clear here. When you say "strip out",
  you mean "get rid of", or "access to" ? For what I remember of basic,
I guess it's the second answer, so:

 >>> fname = "AVC1030708.14"
 >>> print fname[0]
 >>> print fname[-1]
4
 >>> print fname[2:4]
C1
 >>> print fname[2:-4]
C103070

etc...

Also and while we're at it, you also have:
 >>> fname.split('.')
['AVC1030708', '14']
 >>> fname.split('.')[0]
'AVC1030708'