Automation and scheduling of FrontPage publishing using Python

Steve Holden steve at
Sat Sep 1 09:04:06 CEST 2007

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <mailman.250.1188620292.28954.python-list at>, Steve
> Holden wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> Let me open the bidding by suggesting that you stop using FrontPage.
>> But that would mean reprogramming the functionality they now implement
>> using FrontPage extensions. Any help with that?
> If they were using FrontPage extensions, they deserve everything they get.

While possibly justifiable, given that FrontPage has had holes you could
drive a London double-decker but through since time immemorial, it isn't
a terribly helpful observation. And they clearly *are* using FrontPage
extensions, since the OP states that rsync and RoboCopy leave "the front
page extensions and navigation/etc [...] broken".

Not everyone reads the literature even well enough to know about
well-known problems like FrontPage. Whether such ignorance deserves to
be punished by such open-ended retribution is arguable, and I think I'd
come down on the "no" side.

The only mistake they made was trusting the vendor to provide secure
solutions ...

[Andrew: sorry to drag you into this discussion - I don't know whether
you were aware of FrontPage's security issues or not. If not, you should
certainly think about reading up on them].

Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd
Skype: holdenweb