list index()

Sat Sep 1 03:52:21 EDT 2007

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:23:04 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
>> I suppose you also add an extra "i" to aluminum <G>
>
> We're not out to rewrite the table of elements. There's no such thing as
> "aluminum", and "aluminium" always has just the two "i"s.

Although aluminium is the one and only correct spelling *grins*, it is
not actually true that it has always been spelt that way (or for you
Merkins out there, spelled). The discoverer of aluminium, Sir Humphrey
Davy, originally spelt it alumium, then aluminum, and finally
standardized on aluminium.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

--
Steven.