frange() question

George Trojan george.trojan at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 20 09:08:17 EDT 2007

A while ago I found somewhere the following implementation of frange():

def frange(limit1, limit2 = None, increment = 1.):
     """
     Range function that accepts floats (and integers).
     Usage:
     frange(-2, 2, 0.1)
     frange(10)
     frange(10, increment = 0.5)
     The returned value is an iterator.  Use list(frange) for a list.
     """
     if limit2 is None:
         limit2, limit1 = limit1, 0.
     else:
         limit1 = float(limit1)
     count = int(math.ceil(limit2 - limit1)/increment)
     return (limit1 + n*increment for n in range(count))

I am puzzled by the parentheses in the last line. Somehow they make
frange to be a generator:
 >> print type(frange(1.0, increment=0.5))
<type 'generator'>
But I always thought that generators need a keyword "yield". What is
going on here?

George