Calling a dos batch file from python

Wesley Brooks wesbrooks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 04:12:45 EDT 2007

I looked into this a little while ago so I could get the MAC address
of a machine while on linux or windows. Here's a simplified version
that just does the windows side;

self.macMatch = re.compile(r"((\w\w[:-]){5}\w\w)")
data = os.popen("ipconfig /all", 'r')
text = data.read()
tup = self.macMatch.search(text).span()
mac = text[tup[0]:tup[1]].replace('-',':')
return mac

This method allows you to catch the text which would normally be
output to the dos window.

Cheers,

Wes.