Will Python 3.0 remove the global interpreter lock (GIL)

Evan Klitzke evan at yelp.com
Mon Sep 3 02:07:06 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 17:21 -0700, llothar wrote:
> I'm afraid that the GIL is killing the usefullness of python for some
> types of applications now where 4,8 oder 64 threads on a chip are here
> or comming soon.
>
> What is the status about that for the future of python?

The GIL is an implementation specific issue with CPython. It will not be
removed in CPython for the forseeable future, but you can already get a
GIL-free interpreter with Jython and IronPython. AFAIK there are plans
to remove the GIL in PyPy.

According to the last PyPy release announcement, they're running at
about half the speed of CPython, and have a preliminary JIT that can
translate certain integer operations into assembly, and will be expanded
upon in future releases. If you're looking for a progressive alternative
to CPython, I'd keep an eye on that project ;-)

--
Evan Klitzke <evan at yelp.com>