Lists: why is this behavior different for index and slice assignments?

John Salerno johnjsal at gmailNOSPAM.com
Mon Apr 21 21:45:53 EDT 2008

Hey all. I've decided I let my Python skills (minor though they were)
slip away so I started reading the new edition of Learning Python to
brush up. I just read about lists again and I'm wondering if someone
could explain what's going on under the hood that makes index and slice
assignments behave differently when assigning an empty list.

For example:

 >>> L = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
 >>> L[0:2] = []
 >>> L
[3, 4, 5]

 >>> L = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
 >>> L

So the question is, when you assign an empty list to an index, why does
it insert an empty list, but when you assign an empty list to a slice,
it simply deletes the slice?

Thanks!