py3k s***s

Chris McAloney mcaloney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 11:35:52 EDT 2008

On 15-Apr-08, at 12:30 AM, Sverker Nilsson wrote:
> No one forces me, but sooner or later they will want a Python 3.0 and
> then a 3.1 whatever.
>
> I don't want that fuzz. As about the C versions, I am not that
> worried. What's your point?
>
> I just like want to write a program that will stay working. And maybe
> I can go on with something else hopefully than just compatibility
> fixes. They take some work afterall.
>
> It seems hard with Python. Esp. 2 -> 3

I couldn't help but notice that not only did you not address
Gabriel's most important question, you excluded it from the quote
below and changed the comma to a period.  Gabriel said:

"There is a strategy to migrate from 2.x to 3.0, including the 2to3
tool.
Have you used it?"

*Have* you tried the 2to3 tool?  It might help to lessen your
concerns a bit.  Yes, Python 3 is different from 2.x, but we've known
that it was going to be for years and, as has already been pointed
out, the devs are being very careful to minimize the pain that the
changes will inflict on Python programmers, with tools such as 2to3.

Chris