Alternate indent proposal for python 3000

Eric Wertman ewertman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 11:35:57 EDT 2008

I was considering putting together a proposal for an alternate block
syntax for python, and I figured I'd post it here and see what the
general reactions are.  I did some searching, and while I found a lot
of tab vs space debates, I didn't see anything like what I'm thinking
of, so forgive me if this is a very dead horse.

Generally speaking, I like the current block scheme just fine.  I use
python on a daily basis for system administration and text parsing
tasks, and it works great for me.

>From time to time, though, I find myself needing a language for server-
side includes in web pages.  Because of the need to indent (and
terminate indents), python seems an awkward choice for this, and it's
easy for me to see why php and perl are more popular choices for this
kind of task.  Perhaps this is just my perception though.

I feel that including some optional means to block code would be a big
step in getting wider adoption of the language in web development and
in general.  I do understand though, that the current strict indenting
is part of the core of the language, so... thoughts?