How is GUI programming in Python?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Apr 10 23:01:42 EDT 2008

En Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:01:43 -0300, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com>
escribió:

> Michel Bouwmans wrote:
>>
>> Mike Driscoll wrote:
>>> I see a lot of people recommend using pyQt, but they never mention the
>>> controversy that surrounds its licensing. There have been many posts
>>> on the subject already, but if the OP ever decides to sell anything
>>> they create, I've heard that QT's licensing is kind of squirrelly.
>>> Maybe this has been straightened out?
>>>
>>> I looked at the website and found it fairly confusing. And don't you
>>> need to download QT itself?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Yeah, the licensing of Qt is either be open-source (under one of the
>> Qt-exception licenses licenses so no exclusivity for the GPL anymore) or
>> pay for the commercial version. So yes, if you would like to sell it as
>> closed-source software you will need to buy the commercial version of Qt
>> and PyQt. In other words: you will have to pay twice. Don't forget that
>> you
>> can also sell open-source software, so you don't have to pay. ;)
>>
> I don't think PyQt has any licensing restrictions to speak of, only the
> underlying Qt platform (though it's a while since I looked).

Yes, you have to buy separate licenses for both PyQt and Qt. From the PyQt
home page: """PyQt v4 is licensed under the GNU GPL and under a commercial
license on all platforms. [...] You can purchase the commercial version of
PyQt here. PyQt does not include a copy of Qt. You must obtain a correctly
licensed copy of Qt yourself."""

Another annoying thing with the Qt license is that you have to choose it
at the very start of the project. You cannot develop something using the
open source license and later decide to switch to the commercial licence
and buy it.

--
Gabriel Genellina