design choice: multi-threaded / asynchronous wxpython client?

bullockbefriending bard kinch1967 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 12:35:21 EDT 2008

On Apr 27, 11:12 pm, Jorge Godoy <jgo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> bullockbefriending bard wrote:
> > A further complication is that at a later point, I will want to do
> > real-time time series prediction on all this data (viz. predicting
> > actual starting prices at post time x minutes in the future). Assuming
> > I can quickly (enough) retrieve the relevant last n tote data samples
> > from the database in order to do this, then it will indeed be much
> > simpler to make things much more DB-centric... as opposed to
> > maintaining all this state/history in program data structures and
> > updating it in real time.
>
> If instead of storing XML and YAML you store the data points, you can do
> everything from inside the database.
>
> PostgreSQL supports Python stored procedures / functions and also support
> using R in the same way, for manipulating data.  Then you can work with
> everything and just retrieve the resulting information.
>
> You might try storing the raw data and the XML / YAML, but I believe that
> keeping those sync'ed might cause you some extra work.

Tempting thought, but one of the problems with this kind of horse
racing tote data is that a lot of it is for combinations of runners
rather than single runners. Whilst there might be (say) 14 horses in a
race, there are 91 quinella price combinations (1-2 through 13-14,
i.e. the 2-subsets of range(1, 15)) and 364 trio price combinations.
It is not really practical (I suspect) to have database tables with
columns for that many combinations?

I certainly DO have a horror of having my XML / whatever else formats
getting out of sync. I also have to worry about the tote company later
changing their XML format. From that viewpoint, there is indeed a lot
to be said for storing the tote data as numbers in tables.