Help replacing os.system call with subprocess call

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Mon Apr 7 09:38:47 EDT 2008

Hi David and Matt. I appreciate your help which has got me moving
forward again so many thanks for your reply. I have been using
subprocess.Popen a fair bit but this was the first time I had to use
subprocess to capture large file output. The trouble I was having was
with the process would just hang. Chunking was the solution. I guess I
assumed this would be taken care of in the internals.

Overall, I wish subprocess had some better documentation since it is
definitely not a drop in replacement for os.system. In other
circumstances I am using subprocess.call() for simple calls which works
fine.

The speed of this solution is slower than os.system. Would a queue of
some kind be needed to speed this up? Has anyone implemented something
like this? Many thanks.

Regards,
David