py3k s***s

Sverker Nilsson sn at sncs.se
Thu Apr 17 04:41:30 EDT 2008

On Apr 17, 12:02 am, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 12:40 pm, Aaron Watters <aaron.watt... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So how would you have done the old-style class to new-style class
> > > transition?
>
> > I'd ignore it.  I never understood it and never had
> > any need for it anyway.  New-style classes and metaclasses
> > were a complicated solution to an unimportant problem in
> > my opinion.  And also a fiendish way to make code
> > inscrutible -- which I thought was more of a Perl thing
> > than a Python thing, or should be.
>
> > I must be missing some of the deeper issues here.  Please
> > educate me.
>
> The deeper issue is that you're benefiting from these "unimportant"
> changes even if you never use them yourself.
>
> Carl Banks

That just seems a BIT categorical for a statement. Who is 'you'?

I don't see I benefit from any important or unimportant features in
py3k.

External libraries I rely on, I can benefit from ---

But it would take SOME while to get those libraries ported to py3k, if
ever.

And I have been benefiting from Python in general, so far. Thanks,
community.

But now... I'll probably stop posting here for now, & I may stop other
things too.

Just my 2c.

Sverker