Desktop notifications on Windows

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 23:42:56 EDT 2008

On Apr 26, 4:08 pm, WindPower <windypo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 4:52 am, David <wizza... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 4:41 AM,  <windypo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a way to implement desktop notifications (much like an
> > >  instant messaging program or a mail notifier) within my Python
> > >  application, on Windows only (no Gtk/Galago, please). I need no more
> > >  than a simple text-based notification, which should be clickable and
> > >  have a timeout, nothing else. I do not want to use Windows's "balloon
> > >  tips", either. Any suggestions?
> > >  --
>
> > You could use Tkinter, which comes with Python.
>
> The problem is that Tkinter cannot (I haven't looked at it in details,
> so correct me if I'm wrong) create notifications the way I want them;
> it can only create standard dialogs or top-level dialogs, both of
> which steal the focus of other applications, while I want these
> notifications not to interfere with anything (and possibly not be
> displayed if an application is already running in fullscreen).

wxPython can do this. They have a wx.PopupWindow that does this and
comes with wxPython or you can use the more advanced custom Toasterbox
widget that I found here:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/freeware.html#toasterbox

I've used both, but the latter gives more control of the "look &
feel".

Hope that helps!

Mike