Why can't timedeltas be divided?

webograph webograph at eml.cc
Sun Apr 27 08:38:45 EDT 2008

On 2008-04-27 14:18, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> Yes, that's where it was decided that the datetime module was fine
> that way it is and must not be changed.
could you give me some pointers to that discussion?

i found some discussion about interpretation as intervals [1], casting
numbers to intervals [2] and vice versa (plus discussion of connection
to unix timestamps) [3], and arithmetics of time/datetime and timedelta
[4], on which i agree that those are problematic (some of those also
touch the problem of time zones).
nevertheless, i fail to see such problems when dividing timedeltas --
after all, `delta2 / 5 == delta1` works, so why should not `delta2 /
delta1 == 5`?

regards
webograph

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/python-dev@python.org/msg21629.html