Death of NNTP greatly exaggerated

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Apr 16 20:08:44 EDT 2008

Ben Finney wrote:
> Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I rarely use NNTP these days.  I access c.l.py exclusively via e-mail,
>> and that works very well.
>
> I rarely use email for technical mailing lists these days. I access
> such forums exclusively via NNTP <URL:nntp://news.gmane.org>, and that
> works very well.
>
>> This official python list is one of the few lists that's even still on
>> nntp.  All my other ones (gnome, gtk, openldap, clamav, freeradius, etc)
>> are all e-mail mailing lists only and it works very well.  In fact, I
>> think it's much better since list subscription can actually be
>> controlled by someone.
>
> Most technical mailing lists are accessible via NNTP on gmane.org. It
> works very well.
>
> Other discussion groups remain on Usenet, accessible via NNTP from
> servers around the world that mirror each group. In fact, I think it's
> much better since I can use any one of those servers, and the content
> isn't locked up in one specific server.

The duff thung about mailing lists is the way they fill your mailbox up
when you don't have time for them. Hundreds of unread messages all
screaming for your attention.

When c.l.py drops too far down the priority list I just stop reading it.
  Messages float by, expire and drop off the list without any action
from me.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119