python setup.py install on Vista?

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 15:25:33 EDT 2008

On Apr 20, 9:59 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > It seems that quite a lot of people wondered why python doesn't set
> > the environment variable to Python Path in the default installation.
>
> For several reasons, one being that it's not needed. Just run setup.py
> as a program, i.e. don't do
>
> python setup.py install
>
> but instead do
>
> setup.py install
>
> Regards,
> Martin

who said it isn't needed:
1. I primarily set the EnvPath to invoke the interpreter in
interactive mode, without being intervened by IDLE ('cause IDLE is
extremely slow if you do a lot of print statements, most of the time
you won't notice it but if we do multitude of prints it might hang for
a second or two at every statement).
2. To avoid confusion with the rest of the world that uses python by
calling "python" in a shell-like interface (i.e. cmd).
3. Linux-people sometimes doesn't believe that there are Windows-
people that actually likes CLI, sometimes more than GUI.
4. Being such a great IDE, IDLE sometimes do odds and ends that it
sometimes DoS-ed me, having a quick, alternative way to be in touch
with python is a good thing, especially if you're being chased by a
deadline and moving focus away from the job to repair the tool is not
an option.