Installation in a local directory

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 25 00:37:11 EDT 2008

Sean McDaniel wrote:
> Hi y'all,
>
> I'm trying to perform a local install of python at work in my user
> directory. Everything compiles correctly, but I can't seem to tell the
> configure script the location of the bin and lib directories where I
> want my stuff. I've think I've passed the correct flags to the
> 'configure' script.
>
> make clean
> ./configure --enable-shared --prefix=/user/mcdaniel/arch32
> make
>
> where arch32 contains the the lib and bin directories where I want my
> python stuff to go.  Unfortunately these directories are not written to;
> everything ends up in the default location from where I ran 'make'.
> Moreover, if I add a symbolic link from the python binary (which I can
> run directly without problems) to the bin directory so that my PATH will
> recognize the new python, I get an error about loading shared libraries.
>
> I'm making on a 32 bit new debian system.
>
> Thank you for your help,

Did you run "make install" yet? It's that step that moves the binaries
to where they should live. As it says in

   http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/

"""Change to the Python-2.5 directory and run the "./configure", "make",
"make install" commands to compile and install Python."""

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119