Is this a good time to start learning python?

Eduardo O. Padoan eduardo.padoan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:11:34 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:57 PM,  <lbonafide at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 12:47 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
>  wrote:
>  > En Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:57:55 -0300, <lbonaf... at yahoo.com> escribió:
>

>  > > On Mar 31, 1:36 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
>  > > wrote:
>  >
>  > >> Don't be scared by the "backwards incompatible" tag - it's the way to
>  > >> get
>  > >> rid of nasty things that could not be dropped otherwise.
>  >
>  > > I would consider breaking production code to be "nasty" as well.
>  >

> > Please explain how the existence of Python 3.0 would break your production
>  > code.
>
>  The existence of battery acid won't hurt me either, unless I come into
>  contact with it.  If one eventually upgrades to 3.0 -- which is
>  ostensibly the desired path -- their code could break and require
>  fixing.

And how would this happen? I dont know of any good software
distribution that upgrades a component to another major revision
without asking first. The desired path is that, if somene wants to
port his software to Python 3.0, that he follow the migration plan.
Final users will install Python 3.0 as python3.0 anyway, with Python
2.x as default 'python' binary.

>  Backward compatibility is important.   C++ could break all ties with C
>  to "clean up" as well, but it would be a braindead move that would
>  break existing code bases upon upgrade.

C++ is not C. No one "upgrades" from C to C++.

--
 Eduardo de Oliveira Padoan
http://www.advogato.org/person/eopadoan/