py3k s***s

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Apr 16 15:21:45 EDT 2008

En Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:09:05 -0300, Aaron Watters
<aaron.watters at gmail.com> escribió:

> On Apr 16, 11:15 am, Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>> On 16 abr, 09:56, Aaron Watters <aaron.watt... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > In my opinion python's adherence to backwards compatibility
>> > has been a bit mythological anyway -- many new python versions
>> > have broken my old code for no good reason.  This is an irritant
>> > when you have thousands of users out there who suddenly drop
>> > your code, blame you and python, and move on to use something else.
> Yes I mean it.  Actually I was unaware
> of/forgot reconvert, but it doesn't
> matter because it doesn't solve the problem of code I wrote that
> has long ago escaped into the wild no longer working.  There are
> other examples too, having to do with things as simple as a name
> change in a standard module that broke old
> code of mine for what I regard as silly cosmetic reasons.

Yes, there was some cases like that in the past, but I think that now
there is a strict policy for backwards compatibility, including at least
one .n release with deprecation warnings before removing old things.
Anyway, sometimes incompatible changes appear in the standard library -
perhaps because less developers are looking at them in detail?

> I hope you are right about py3k conversions being pain
> free and routine.  I'm suspicious about it however.

Well, I would not say "pain free", but certainly it's not as terrible as
some people imply...

--
Gabriel Genellina