Java or C++?

lbonafide at yahoo.com lbonafide at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 08:01:33 EDT 2008

On Apr 14, 1:44 am, s0s... at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I was hoping to get some opinions on a subject. I've been
> programming Python for almost two years now. Recently I learned Perl,
> but frankly I'm not very comfortable with it. Now I want to move on
> two either Java or C++, but I'm not sure which. Which one do you think
> is a softer transition for a Python programmer? Which one do you think
> will educate me the best?

It depends on your reasons for learning either.  If you're targeting a
specific job market, find out what is prevelant in that market.   And
keep in mind that if it's for a job, you'll also have to get up to
speed on the relevant libraries and frameworks.

If it's educational, I'd recommend C++ just to learn about pointers
and memory management, so you get a better idea of what's going on
under the covers in languages like Java and Python and Ruby and C#.