Does Python 2.5.2's embedded SQLite support full text searching?

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 22 12:27:48 EDT 2008

> >> Does Python 2.5.2's embedded SQLite support full text searching?
> >>
> >> Any recommendations on a source where one can find out which SQLite
> >> features are enabled/disabled in each release of Python? I'm trying to
> >> figure out what's available in 2.5.2 as well as what to expect in 2.6
> >> and 3.0.
> >
> > Sqlite itself is not distributed with python. Only a python db api
> > compliant wrapper is part of the python stdlib and as such it is
> > completely independent of the sqlite build. In other words, if your
> > sqlite build supports full text searching you can use it through the
> > python sqlite wrapper (that is part of the stdlib) and if it doesn't
> > then not. This is true for any sqlite feature though.
> >
> > So if you need an sqlite feature just go ahead and build your own
> > sqlite with that feature enabled and use that feature with the stock
> > python sqlite wrapper that comes with the stdlib.
>
> I doubt that. This would mean that Python comes with a mechanism to
> dynamically load different libs for the same module, opening a buttload
> full of error-conditions regarding library versions & changing semantics
> depending on system configuration.

That mechanism is called dynamical shared object loading. The wrapper
_sqlite3.so uses libsqlite3.so (which is the sqlite library itself,
independently of python) and so if you want to use a custom sqlite
which behaves the same as the original sqlite only it adds, for
example, a new SQL keyword that can be used in queries, all you need
to do is compile it and replace libsqlite3.so with your custom build.
If you pass the new SQL keyword in a query from python through the db
api it will travel to the part of the wrapper that is implemented in
python then to the C wrapper (_sqlite3.so) and then to your new
libsqlite3.so which interprets the new keyword correctly. Of course
you can not change the sqlite C api in this way for that you would
need to rebuild _sqlite3.so as well.

Cheers,
Daniel