python custom command interpreter?

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Wed Aug 20 18:46:42 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:19:19PM -0400, joey boggs wrote:
> In the end I'd like to be able to run a custom interpreter and just feed it
> one command and a directory. The end result in the kickstart something like
> this:
>
> %post --interpreter #!/usr/bin/myinterpreter
> DROP /tmp/directory
> DROP /tmp/directory2

What is the problem you are trying to solve?  Are you asking how to
write a shell in Python?

<pet peeve>
> How would I setup the interpreter to take the DROP command?

You wouldn't... "setup" is a noun.  You might "set up" an interpreter
though.
</pet peeve>

> I've been reading and searching all day but I haven't found anything
> close to what I'm doing. I realize that using custom commands in
> this case is overkill but in the end is used to make the users life
> easier.

How so?  What could be easier than "rm -rf directory"?

> If anyone can point me to some documentation I would be more than
> grateful.

I'd be happy to, but I can't imagine what sort of documentation would
help you.  It sounds like what you want to do, basically, is write a
program to read commands from stdin, parse them to make sure the
syntax is right, and then execute the equivalent code in Python.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/