Keg - A python web framework

eghansah eghansah at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:46:56 EDT 2008

Hi,

Thank you for the comments so far.

To be honest with you I didn't know about pycoon until Bukzor mentioned it.
There appears to be some similarities between the two projects. However, I
think I'd have to take a closer look at it to be sure that I'm not
duplicating the efforts made in that project.

As to the question on how different this is from other frameworks, I think
there are certainly many similarities. As I admitted in the writeup, it
draws from other projects including django. However, there is one new idea I
haven't seen anywhere . . . not yet at least. In keg, I try to use URL
pattern matching to run one or more functions required to generate the page
the URL is pointing to. For instance, when you try to access a page like
http://www.python.org Keg will run all functions whose URL regex matches the
URL requested. Their output is then combined to generate the resulting page.
With this approach, we could have functions that generate menus, those that
generate page content and those that manage logins. These could all be
separately maintained. Keg ties their outputs all together to generate the
page. This means you could work on a menu system and not worry about how you
will generate ads for the page. The possibilities are endless . . . at least
in theory.

Also, each function receives the same input. This means that the execution
of one function does not really affect the execution of any others.
Hopefully this makes debugging much easier. Another good effect of this idea
is that all functions can be run in parallel since they are independent.