When to use try and except?

Craig Allen callen314 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 22:05:13 EDT 2008

On Aug 29, 7:23 am, cnb <circularf... at yahoo.se> wrote:
> If I get zero division error it is obv a poor solution to do try and
> except since it can be solved with an if-clause.
>
> However if a program runs out of memory I should just let it crash
> right? Because if not then I'd have to write exceptions everywhere to
> prevent that right?
well, recovering from an error can simply be telling the user what
happened before bailing, so given that a program out of memory is
going to fail, that doesn't mean you shouldn't catch the error and
fail more gracefully.

Of course, memory is a particularly hard example because you may not
have memory to be preparing output...