Using exceptions in defined in an extension module inside another extension module

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 17:33:25 EST 2008

Christian Heimes wrote:

> Floris Bruynooghe schrieb:
> > What I can't work out however is how to then be able to raise this
> > exception in another extension module.  Just defining it as "extern"
> > doesn't work, even if I make sure the first module -that creates the
> > exception- gets loaded first.  Because the symbol is defined in the
> > first extension module the dynamic linker can't find it as it only
> > seems to look in the main python executable for symbols used in
> > dlloaded sofiles.
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea of how you can do this?
>
> The answer is so obvious that you are going to bang your head against
> the next wall. You have to do exactly the same as you'd do with a pure
> Python module: import it. :)

Well, I hope the wall hurts as much as my head...

Great tip, at first I wasn't looking forward to importing the module
in every function where I wanted the exceptions.  But then I realised
they are global variables anyway so I could have them as such again
and just assign them in the module init function.

Thanks
Floris