Reg: PIL2.4 Error: AttributeError: pixel_access

Kottiyath n.kottiyath at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 01:22:15 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 11:20 pm, Kottiyath <n.kottiy... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I am facing the following problem in PIL 2.4:
> Code:
> img = ImageGrab.grab()
> img.save("image2.jpg")
>
> Error:
>     img.save("image2.jpg")
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\PIL\Image.py", line 1372, in
> save
>     self.load()
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\PIL\Image.py", line 599, in load
>     return self.im.pixel_access(self.readonly)
> AttributeError: pixel_access
>
> When I googled this error, I saw that such an error could be because
> of some botched installation. So, I re-installed PIL. But still this
> error persists.
>
> The version is>>> print Image.VERSION
>
> 1.1.6
>
> I had installed PIL in Python2.5 earlier and had done image capture
> also. But I need to go back to Python2.4 (because pymedia exe is
> available for only python2.4) and now I am facing this issue.
>
> I am pretty new to application programming, so if someone can help me
> out, it would be very helpful.
>
> Regards,
> Kottiyath

Hi all,
   I could solve it myself.
   Just FI, if somebody else faces the same issue.
   The issue was that I had installed many other 3rd party tools. One
of those (I havent found out which - later it is going to bite me )
has overridden the _imaging.pyd (in linux it would be _imaging.so)
file in PythonXX/DLLs directory with its version. I deleted the
_imaging.pyd and _imaginft.pyd from PythonXX/DLLs and now PIL takes
the data from site-packages/PIL/_imaging.pyd itself.

Regards