How do I manually uninstall setuptools (installed by egg)?

excord80 at gmail.com excord80 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 22:28:48 EST 2008

On Dec 9, 10:15 pm, rdmur... at bitdance.com wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 at 18:49, excor... at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Ubuntu, I accidentally manually installed setuptools
> >http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools/0.6c9(by running the .egg file
> > as a shell script via sudo), and now realize I should just be using
> > apt to take care of my system Python packages. I also installed one or
> > two packages using its ``easy_install``.
>
> > Looks like it lives in ``/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages``.
>
> > How can I manually remove those packages installed using that
> > ``easy_install``, and then manually remove the setuptools package I
> > installed?
>
> rm -r /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/<egg-directory>

Ok. "<egg-directory>" presumably refers to the packages I installed
using the ``easy_install`` command. I'm guessing I should also
jettison the ``setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg`` and ``setuptools.pth``
files.

> Then find the .pth file (in the site-packages directory) that
> references the egg, and delete the line referencing the egg.

I guess you mean the ``easy-install.pth`` file. Ok.

I should probably also get rid of ``/usr/bin/easy_install`` and ``/usr/
bin/easy_install-2.5``...

> Setuptools has no uninstall function, as far as I know.

Unfortunate. It's usually one of the first things I look for in a
piece of software.

Thanks.