A more pythonic way of writting

Fri Dec 5 18:19:06 EST 2008

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 07:44:21 -0800, eric wrote:

> I like to believe that the less the 'debug pointer' stands in the python
> code, the fastest the code is (or is potentially)

What's a debug pointer?

Pre-mature optimization is the root of evil in programming. Unless you
have actually *measured* the speed of the code, how do you know you
aren't making it slower instead of faster?

Experience with other languages often is misleading when programming with
Python. If you are used to programming in C, for example, then you will
tend to program one way because comparisons are fast and moving records
is slow. But in Python, comparisons can be slow and moving records is
fast, so the C programmer's intuitions about "fast code" are often
pessimations instead of optimizations.

--
Steven